The food we consume daily affects our health deeply. Thus, it should be prepared in a hygienic condition and meet specific standards. To keep the food business operators in check, the Government of India has established FSSAI, a statutory body to ensure that quality and hygiene is maintained. All Food business operators must have an FSSAI license. The validity of such a license is typically between one to five years. After which, a renewal is required. The FSSAI License Renewal Procedure is very simple and is completed very quickly.
FBOs requiring Renewal of Food License
Some of the FBOs requiring renewal of their license are as follows:
- Hotels, Restaurants
- FBOs involved in manufacture, distribution, processing, packaging, storage of food item
- Food chains, food resellers and sellers
- Wholesalers and retailers of food item
- FBOs involved in the import and export of food products
- Dairy processing and dairy FBOs
- Processing FBOs
- Raw material suppliers
- Canteen operating in corporations, hospitals, schools or any government institution
- FBOs are involved in the transportation of food products.
Types of FSSAI license renewal
There are three types of FSSAI license renewal. They are as follows:
- Basic License Renewal: FBOs with an annual turnover of less than Rs 12 lakh require basic license renewal
- State License Renewal: FBOs with an annual turnover of more than 12 lakhs and less than Rs 20 crore require a State license Renewal
- Central License Renewal: FBOs with a yearly turnover of more than 20 crores require a Central FSSAI license renewal
Documents required for FSSAI License Renewal Procedure
Following are the necessary documents for an FSSAI license:
- Two passport size photographs of the applicant
- Copy of PAN card of the FBOs executives
- Application Form- Form A or B duly signed by the applicant
- Proof of residence of the registered office
- In the case of a partnership firm, the partnership deed of the FBO
- List of food categories and products
- Copy of AOA and MOA of the company
- Identity proof of the directors of the company
- NOC from a manufacturer of food products in case of reselling or distribution
- The layout of the premises of the food processing unit
- NOC by Municipality
- List of directors of the company
- Contact and residential details of the director
- List of equipment used in the manufacturing and processing units
- In case of a Raw Material FBO, details of the source of raw materials as required
- In the case of packaging of products like minerals, a copy of the pesticide residue report is required
- Copy of Certificate by Ministry of Tourism, in case of hotel
Additional documents for Centre license renewal
- Proof of annual turnover of the company
- IEC registration documents issued by DGFT
- Proof of possession of the property
- Certificate of 100% Export Oriented Units issued by the Ministry of Commerce
- Analysis report of the water used in the food
Steps For FSSAI License Renewal Procedure
The FSSAI License Renewal Procedure can be completed either online or offline.
Step 1: Visit http://foodlicensing.fssai.gov.in
Step 2: Use your username and password to log in.
Step 3: After successful login, click ” Apply for Renewal for License”
Step 4: A list will appear on the screen, select the relevant link and click ” Proceed”.
Step 5: Upload relevant documents and fill the required form in the portal.
Step 6: After that, click on ” Submit”
Step 7: Once the form is filled and all the documents are uploaded, the applicant will get a reference number that can be used to track the status of the application for renewal
Step 1: Fill the Form A for basic license renewal or Form B for central and state license renewal.
Step 2: Self attest all the required documents along with the form and submit it before a competent authority
Step 3: After the authority receives the renewal application, they will inspect the application
Step 4: For proper inspection, the authority sends the renewal application to the FSSAI officer
Step 5: The FSSAI officer will conduct such investigation and form a report
Step 6: Upon such report, the application is passed or rejected
The entire process takes nearly 60 days. The FSSAI renewed license is issued within 6o days.
The benefit of FSSAI license renewal
Following are the benefits of renewing an FSSAI license:
- Improves Consumer Confidence: Food operators that follow proper standards guarantee timely renewals of their license. This increases the overall consumer confidence in purchasing products from food business operators.
- Ensure Compliance: A FBO can effectively maintain compliance by extending its FSSAI license at the right time. The FBO does not have to pay a fine for the breach.
- Enhances the value of FBOs brand: Securing this license will improve your brand’s reputation. Consumers will know that the FBO has extended its license.
- Offers Opportunities for Diversification: After the compliance has been achieved through the renewal of the FSSAI license, the company can diversify into other areas. The FBO can produce new food products.
- Meets International Standards: International standards can be met by complying with the laws relating to the above systems.
Penalty in case of non-renewal of license
Each food business operator will be fined Rs 100 per day if they do not renew their FSSAI license or registration within 30 days of the expiration of their food license. If the license or registration is not renewed within the specified period, the license is considered expired.
Every Food business operator must obtain an FSSAI license whose validity ranges from one to five years. FSSAI license renewal is a necessary process carried out by food business operators wishing to pursue their respective businesses. FSSAI License Renewal procedure is straightforward and can be completed without any hassle. They must renew their food license within 30 days of expiration since not renewing the license on time will lead to penalties.
Read our article:FSSAI License For Canteen: A Complete Guide