Overview BIS Registration
Almost every product nowadays requires an authenticity mark to ensure its purity. Certification by the BIS (Bureau of Indian Standards) assures buyers of a product's quality and standards. Buyers can rest assured that a product is safe to use thanks to this accreditation. It's also worth noting that in India, BIS certification is optional for a variety of products. However, the Indian government has made certification mandatory for specific products in order to protect public health and safety.
The BIS Act 2016 established the National Standard Body of India for the harmonious growth of the operations of standardization, marking, and quality certification of goods, as well as things associated with or incidental thereto.
Through standardization, certification, and testing, BIS has provided traceable and tangible benefits to the national economy in a variety of ways, including providing safe, reliable quality goods, reducing consumer health risks, promoting exports and imports as a substitute, and controlling variety propagation, among other things. The goal of BIS is to analyze product samples when they are in the preliminary and surveillance stages. BIS has eight central laboratories, four regional laboratories, and three branch laboratories throughout India.
What is the BIS Product Registration Scheme?
With over 26500 licenses covering over 900 items, the BIS Registration Product Scheme is one of the largest in the world. It enables the company to use the widely recognized ISI Mark on their products, which certifies that the product is pure and healthy. The BIS Registration product system also has a Foreign Manufactures Certification Scheme, which allows foreign manufacturers to be licensed to use the BIS standard mark.
What are the Advantages of BIS Registration for Indian Manufacturing Units?
Over 500 BIS Registrations for over 50 Indian standards have been obtained in over 40 countries to far. It is critical for the manufacturer to obtain BIS Registration since it provides the following benefits: -
Ensure that quality standards are met
For all manufacturers, BIS takes a holistic approach to quality compliance implementation. Entities with a BIS registration is required to manufacture their items to a specified quality. BIS investigative officials do surprise inspections to the location where the production is generally conducted out. It allows the BIS to keep an eye on the production facilities for product quality and compliance.
Ensure that the product is genuine.
Products with no quality certification may go out of sale overnight but cannot earn the customer’s credibility or trust. Uncertified products are prone to poor performance and could pose a health hazard. Unfortunately, the majority of end-users are unaware of such information.
BIS approved products, on the other hand, left no room for complaint in this regard, as they claim to give high-quality performance and unrivalled reliability. One of the most significant benefits of BIS registration is this.
Environmental Risk Minimization
BIS certification includes 900 different categories of items, some of which are potentially hazardous to the environment. Electronics, in particular, pose a significant environmental and health risk. BIS has taken a number of steps in this regard, including establishing a definitive process for making such things in order to reduce environmental risk.
Furthermore, under BIS's mandated norms, the usage of certain materials and substances is forbidden. As a result, it is critical in establishing the quality standard for safety and the environment in the industrial sector.
Quality Control Testing in the Lab
BIS has incorporated state-of-the-art labs in various sections of the country since it works on quality standardization. These labs were created to assess the quality of a wide range of products. The investigating officials randomly select a few samples from the registration facilities during the on-site inspection and send them to the lab for testing.
The product will be returned along with the test result once it has been certified. Although this procedure may appear to be time-consuming, it is critical for ensuring good quality.
What Documents Are Necessary for BIS Registration?
The documents you must give for the BIS registration process are grouped into two categories:
Factory Documents & Information
To complete the BIS Application Form and Process, you must submit the Factory Documents & Information, which includes all basic information about the manufacturing unit:
Any one of the following documents establishing the firm must be self-certified: -
- State Government Authority Registration/ Trade License, OR
- Company Registrar's Certificate of Registration, OR
- Formalized Partnership If the applicant is a partnership firm, the deed, OR
- If the applicant is a sole proprietorship, a certificate from a Chartered Accountant is required.
Self-certified copy of any one of the following documents (not older than 3 months) verifying the Firm's premises:
- State Government Authority/Trade Licenses Registration, OR
- Registration for GST OR
- Order for Income Tax Assessment, OR
- Policy of Insurance, OR
- Receipt of property tax, OR
- Rent agreement with the most recent rent receipt OR Sale/Lease Deed agreement
- Electricity Bill
- Telephone Bill
- Water Bill
- Install a gas line OR
- A bank statement or a pass book with the sales outlet's address.
Any of the following documents can be used to prove the identity of the applicant's signatory:
- Photocopy of your Aadhar Card
- A valid driver's license OR
- A PAN card is an alternative to a driver's license.
- A photocopy of your voter registration card OR a photocopy of your voter registration card or a passport
- Photo ATM card from a bank
- Credit card photo OR
- Photo card from CGHS/ECHS
- Possession of a firearms license, OR
- Identity Certificate with photo, issued on official letterhead by a Gazetted Officer,
- State-issued disability identification card/handicapped medical certificate, OR
- Photo of a Freedom Fighter, OR
- Photo identification card for retirees, OR
- Photo pard for rations/PDS, OR
- Photo identification from a recognized educational institution OR
- Passbook of Kisaan Photographs
The following are the additional documents that must be presented with the application:
- Non-judicial stamp paper of Rs 100/- in the appropriate format for the agreement.
- A map of the location
Product Technical Specifications
This section discusses the technical specifications of the goods that are available for lab testing. The information that the maker must supply is the product's construction details, such as:
- Critical Components List Others PCB Layout Schematic Diagram User Manual
- Proof of receipt of an online file submission;
- A letter of authority from the company's CEO, or an application signed by the CEO;
- If the manufacturer is based outside the country, an affidavit and undertaking for the approved Indian representative, as well as confirmation of identity of the individual signing the affidavit;
- a project for a test report
- Original test report(s) from the designated laboratory, not older than 1 month, stating all requirements as per the applicable category Form VI and VII;
- The BIS Registration procedures will take about 30-35 days to complete, including 15-20 days for testing and 10-15 days for BIS Application processing.
What Kinds of BIS Registration Schemes Are There?
The product's BIS Registration is divided into several sorts of schemes, which are as follows:
The Standard Operating Procedure for a Domestic Manufacturer
The applicant must submit the BIS Registration application, as well as the required documents and fees. Following the submission of the application, a BIS officer conducts an evaluation in which the samples are tested at the factory and an independent testing report is drawn up. Where the sample process is suitable, BIS Registration is issued if all goes smoothly. BIS Registration is granted within four months after the application's submission.
Procedure for Domestic Manufacturers
In the simplified approach, the applicant provides a test report of the sample from the approved lab to the BIS officer along with the application for BIS Registration. If the test report is satisfactory, the BIS officer will inspect the plant and issue a certificate of registration within 30 days of the BIS Registration application being submitted with the required test report.
Except for the following products, the simplified method applies to the awarding of licenses in All India First license instances and for all products:
Items requiring permission from another statutory authority, such as cylinders, valves, and cement; all products for which a BIS license is provided based on factory testing; packaged drinking water (PDW) and packaged natural mineral water (PNMW).
Scheme of the Eco Mark
BIS also issues licenses to environmentally friendly items via a specific scheme known as the ECO Mark Scheme, which categorizes all environmental products according to Indian Standards' basic specifications.
Scheme for Certification of Foreign Manufacturers
The ISI mark is developed specifically for overseas applicants or producers and is given under a separate procedure within a 6-month period. The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) introduced the Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme (FMCS) in the year 2000 with the goal of allowing abroad applicants or foreign manufacturers to use the Standard Mark on their products as well.
The foreign manufacturer must establish a branch office in India with the necessary approvals before appointing an agent in India.
- The application form, along with the required fee and papers, must be sent to the BIS in the prescribed format.
- The applicant's manufacturing and testing units will be subjected to a preliminary inspection. In addition, sample(s) will be taken for independent testing.
- If the BIS is satisfied with all of the requirements, the BIS Certificate will be issued, and the applicant will be required to pay an annual minimum marking fee as well as an annual licence cost.
Manufacturers wanting a standard BIS label as given by government notification may get a BIS licence under the tatkal program. The request is handled under strict deadlines under the tatkal program, and the total processing time is set at 30 days.
What is the procedure for registering with the BIS?
The Licensing Procedure
The following actions must be taken throughout the licensing process:-
- There will be a deadline for submitting applications.
- After that, a preliminary inspection will be conducted by the BIS Officer.
- The samples will be evaluated after the inspection.
- The final outcome will be determined after all of the evaluations have been completed.
Process of Surveillance
Following the inspection process, the factory undergoes a thorough survey, which is referred to as the surveillance process. The steps involved in the surveillance process are as follows:
- The factory will be visited by the inspecting authority, who will testify.
- The samples were taken after the testing.
- The samples will be forwarded to independent laboratories for analysis.
- The test report will provide an overview of the complaint or feedback on the investigation.
- The performance evaluation report will be completed.
- License is issued when the report has been examined.
What are the products that must be registered with the BIS?
BIS Registration is not required for all electrical or other products, but it is required for some products. The following is a list of products:
- Concrete and cement.
- Engines that run on diesel.
- Electronics for the home.
- Products relating to food.
- Stoves with a high pressure of oil.
- Automobile Parts and Accessories
- Products made of steel.
- Products made of wood.
- Product made of leather.
- Regulators, cylinders, and valves
- Medical Devices.
- Transformers for electricity.
- Instruments for testing
- Rubber and plastic.
- Machinery and equipment.
What is the BIS Registration Validity?
The BIS Registration will be valid for two years and can be renewed if neither the product nor the standard is modified. The licence is renewed for a minimum of one year and a maximum of five years. Renewal is contingent on the annual licence price and the advance minimum marking charge. If the application for renewal is submitted after the license's validity has expired, the applicant must pay a late charge of Rs. 5,000.
What is the Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS) and how does it work?
The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology issued an order in October 2012 prohibiting the manufacture or storage of specified goods. It issued the "Electronics and Information Technology Goods (Company Registration) Order, 2012," which exempts 15 types of electronic devices from sale, import, or distribution.
Who is eligible to apply?
- Manufacturers of the products listed in the plan, whether they are based in India or not.
- The unique Registration number assigned to products made in various regions.
- Each brand made at the same site has its own registration number.
Why Choose Us
Free Legal Advice
On Time Delivery
Money Back Guarantee
200+ CA/CS Assisted
Frequently Asked Questions
BIS Certification's key goals are to preserve and safeguard people' health, provide quality assurance, protect consumers from hazardous products, and boost consumer confidence.
The term "BIS Certification" refers to a third-certification party's of a product's quality, reliability, and safety. Every manufacturer in India who has been notified under the Compulsory Registration Act must acquire BIS Certification.