Nutritious food essentially contains chemical compounds for the proper functioning of the body and ensures good health. Because of a busy lifestyle, the majority of people are usually inclined towards junk food. However, with the increase in diseases, people are moving towards healthy and nutritious food. There is a rising concern among people regarding their health. The idea of leading a nutritious and healthy life might seem very interesting. Starting a Nutrition food business might be tricky, but chances are pretty high of it being successful.
Need to Start a Nutrition Food Business
With fast technology, people are always in a rush. Lack of time and wide availability of processed food has made it challenging to consume proper nutrition. Unhealthy eating habits are leading to poor health. Various studies have shown lack of nutrition in the dietary plans of people and the consequences of such a poor diet. According to a WHO report, in 2020, globally, around 45% of the deaths of children below the age of 5 years are due to malnutrition. Four hundred sixty-two million adults are underweight, according to another study by WHO. As per the research conducted by SRL, diagnostic in 2016, 75-80% of women have shown low vitamin D levels in their bodies. According to a 2018 report by UNICEF, most of the children below the age of 5 years are at high risk of malnutrition. Nutritional deficiencies like iron deficiency, anaemia alone have resulted in around 80 000 deaths per year. Breastfeeding or pregnant women have also recorded high rates of undernutrition. These statistics are alarming and show the dire need for nutrition in the food business, and thus, holistic food is a necessity.
Starting a Nutrition Food Business
Following are the steps to be followed to start a Nutrition food business:
- Extensive market research: This will give a brief idea about how and when to start a business. Research on the targeted customer and the marketplace’s needs in which the business is to be opened.
- Create a nutrition program: According to the market research, a list of products or a set of nutritional programs has to be created to cater to the requirements of the targeted clients. Since every individual’s choices will be different, market research will help to create an inclusive program.
- Plan Your Business: After creating a nutritional program, plan your business well in advance. The planning includes :
- A comprehensive description of the vision of the business
- List of products that will be served
- Marketing plans
- Management plans, i.e. Staffing, and delegation of work
- Statistics of the finances may include the profit-loss sheet, annual/monthly growth margins, etc
- Selection of location of the business.
- Marketing of the business: Marketing or promotion of the business is the key to a successful business. Various marketing strategies can be used, such as social media marketing, advertisements etc to increase the reach and engagement of the customers.
- Start Operation of business: After obtaining a license from FSSAI ( Food Safety and Standards Authority of India), a business is free to operate.
License Required For Nutrition Food Business
The main objective of a nutrition food business is to give products full of nutrition. Like all the other businesses, they also need to maintain hygienic conditions and deliver safe food to people. For that, they need a certified license from FSSAI.
Often, various claims are made by the nutrition food business. Having a conviction to promote a product often leads to misleading claims. The FSSAI license makes sure that a scientific piece of evidence backs the claims made by such businesses.
Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 is the governing act for food-related business, and has led to the establishment of FSSAI. Every food business needs to obtain a license from the FSSAI. The basic rules of obtaining a nutrition food business license are the same as a food business. However, some changes are made for the nutrition business specially health supplements. There is a thin line between drugs and health supplements. The ingredients used in health supplements are very similar to that of drugs. Since dietary supplements also come in the nutrition business, the categorization of food sold is very significant. Such categorization depends on the ingredients or composition of the product.
The Food Safety and Standards Act provides :
“No person shall manufacture, sell, or import any food for particular dietary use and health supplements that the Central government has notified, except those under the FSSAI Act.”
Food under any of the categories is eligible to register themselves under FSSAI.
FSSAI Registration Procedure
Following are the steps to get the nutrition food business registered:
Step 1: Choosing the type of license required, i.e., either a new license or renewal of license.
Step 2: Log in to the official FSSAI website.
Step 3: Generate a user id and password to create a temporary id
Step 4: Fill the Form A and Form B for a license.
Step 5: Attach documents with the form
Step 6: Pay license fee
Step 7: After verification of the application, the license will be granted. If the application is rejected, the reasons for rejection will be provided by the authorities.
Required Information In Case of Health Supplement
Following are the required information to be put on the label of health supplements:
- Specify the category clearly on the product label.
- An advisory warning should be given – “Not for Medicinal Use.”
- The ingredient/composition of the product
With the increase in stress level and fast pace of life, dietary food and holistic nutrition is a need of the hour, and now is the right time to start a Nutrition food business. However, they must obtain an FSSAI license and comply with the guidelines before starting a business.
Read our article:FSSAI License Renewal Procedure in India – An overview