Even those living in rural areas of India use cosmetics occasionally or even every day. As a result, the cosmetics industry is growing in India since it has the unique ability to never experience a recession. However, a producer or importer must adhere to the regulatory criteria in order to operate a cosmetic business in India. Before starting a cosmetics business in India, cosmetic makers or importers must get a Cosmetic Registration or import registration. The Drugs and Cosmetic Rules, 1945 (the “Rules”) and the Drugs and Cosmetic Act, 1940 (the “Act”) govern Cosmetic Registration in India.
What is Cosmetic
Cosmetics are defined under the Act as items applied to human skin. Cosmetics are items that are meant to be poured, rubbed, sprayed, sprinkled, introduced, or applied to the human body in order to promote attractiveness, beautify, cleanse, or alter the appearance, according to Section 3(aaa) of the Act. It also includes a product made to be used as a cosmetic component.
The licensing or regulating body for the production of cosmetics is a state licensing authority chosen by the respective state governments. The body in charge of controlling the import of cosmetic items is the central licensing authority that the Central Government designates. The Central Licensing Authority that grants the import registration certificate is the Drugs Controller General (India).
Advantages of Cosmetic Registration in India
Any business or factory with this kind of license would be seen more favorably by the general public. Through this process, the use of cosmetics would rise. The company’s reputation would improve as a result, and sales and turnover would likewise rise.
Your business would be in compliance with Indian law if you registered with the appropriate body for cosmetics. Additionally, you would have to pay any kind of fine for failing to comply.
Your company will boost the level of product protection by enrolling under Cosmetic registration in India. For instance, there would be no violation of any kind in your items. A further advantage of using this registration method is that it protects your company from intellectual property lawsuits. An intellectual property infringement lawsuit may be filed against a company that attempts to copy your company’s products.
Required Documents for Cosmetic Registration
The following documents are needed to apply for a manufacturing license:
- Form of Declaration
- Key and site plan blueprint
- Evidence that the manufacturing facility is yours
- Evidence of the company’s incorporation or registration
- Affidavit of not being convicted under the Act of partners, proprietors, or directors
- Certified copies of the Pharmacy Council of India registration certificate, the registered pharmacist’s or the competent person’s experience certificate, and their academic credentials certificates
- A biodata form
- A notarized affidavit from a licensed pharmacist or other qualified individual attesting to their full-time employment with the business
- Appointment letter from the licensed pharmacist or other responsible parties
- A PDF of the completed application form was downloaded (Form 31, 31-A, or 36)
The following paperwork is needed to apply for an import license:
- Letter of cover from the importer
- Power of attorney original demonstrating the relationship between the importer and manufacturer
- Free-sale certificate, manufacturing permit, or letter of authorization for marketing
- A duplicate of the product’s label
- Fillable PDF form 42 downloaded
- Schedule D III, signed by the producer or an authorized representative
- Protocols for testing and product specification
- The pollution control board’s NO
- Plan of the property’s layout
- Rental agreement, if the space is rented
- Equipment list for laboratories
- List of any manufacturing equipment installed
Process for Cosmetic Registration
Following the steps below, cosmetics makers or importers can request a manufacturing license or an import registration certificate:
- Go to the SUGAM website.
- Select the “Sign Up Here” option from the “Login/Sign Up” button.
- Click the “Submit” button after selecting “For Cosmetic Registration” for registration purposes.
- Enter the information, upload the supporting papers (such as the authorized signatory’s ID, an undertaking, and a copy of the company’s address), and then click the “Submit” button.
- To the registered email, the ID will be sent a verification link. The application will be submitted to CDSCO officials for approval after the verification link has been clicked.
- The authority will email the email ID with registration permission.
- Enter the user name and password to access the portal after gaining approval.
- In the section for submitting forms, choose the department and the format of the form.
- Choose the application type that will be submitted.
- Click the “Proceed” button once the application has been submitted.
- Click the “Save and Continue” button after seeing the page.
- It then opens the “Checklist” page. Click the “Submit” button once you have uploaded your documents by clicking on each point on this page.
- It’ll launch the payments page. After completing the form, use the “Submit” button.
- The preview page will start to load. To create a PDF of the completed application form, click the “PDF” button. Then, click the “Submit” button.
- Upload the application form you got as a PDF to the next page, then click the “Submit” button.
- The relevant designated officer will receive the online application form and issue the license.
According to the provisions of the 1940 Drugs and Cosmetics Act, a violator may face up to a year in prison, a fine of up to INR 1,000, or both. The sentence and penalties might be increased correspondingly in cases of multiple convictions. Therefore, it is crucial to guarantee compliance with the rules outlined in the aforementioned Act. If you choose to use the Bizadvisors.io services, Cosmetic Registration can be obtained without arduous documents and in minimize time.
Read our article:How to Obtain Cosmetic Registration in India