Food safety and maintenance of standard is the most necessary in a food business which is ensured by the FSSAI License. FSSAI License in Kerala ensures such food safety for the food business operators in the state of Kerala. One must obtain an FSSAI License while entering into the food business. In this blog we are going to know about different things regarding FSSAI License in Kerala.
Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006
The Act provides about the root of Food Safety and Standard Authority. The Act provides for laws relating to food and food safety, regulating their manufacture, storage, distribution, sale and import, and availability of safe and secured edibles. The Act also maintains matters in connection to the standard of food and anything related thereto.
What is FSSAI?
Established by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Food Safety and Standard Authority of India (FSSAI) is a government body regulating food safety in India. With this aim, they have created a chain of network helping with authentic information about food safety and related aspects. The FSSAI has prescribed standards for dairy products, fats, oils, fruits and vegetable products, cereal products and many more.
The Procedure of FSSAI License in Kerala
FSSAI License in Kerala can be obtained through the following steps:
- Filing of Application – application along with required documents and fee is to be filed as per their eligibility.
- Verification by FSSAI – the FSSAI performs in-depth research of the documents provided and the suggested production plan.
- Rejection of Application – after thorough verification FSSAI provides for the license. If rejected, the applicant is informed within 7 days of receiving the application.
- Grant of Kerala FSSAI License or Registration – upon acceptance of the application, the FSSAI provides a 14-digit license number or FSSAI number which must be displayed by the business at its registered place of business and on the packages and labels of its food products.
- Validity and Renewal of FSSAI License in Kerala – the issued FSSAI number is valid for a period of 1 to 5 years which has to be renewed within 30 days prior to the expiry, following which it has to be renewed at a penalty rate of Rs 100 per day till renewal application is filed.
Online Procedure for FSSAI License in Kerala
Following are the steps given below which can help you in knowing about the online procedure to get FSSAI License in Kerala-
Step 1: Visit the Food Licensing Portal
Step 2: Sign up or login into the FSSAI portal of Kerala.
Step 3: Check for eligibility as food business operator.
Step 4: Applying for license/registration.
Step 5: Upload the requested documents.
Step 6: Make the necessary payment.
Step 7: Acknowledgement receipt is generated.
Applicants can renew or verify the status of an application.
Following is the list of the documents required for the FSSAI License in Kerala-
- A duly completed and signed Form B.
- Layout of the architecture of the processing unit detailing the dimensions and allocation of operational areas.
- Information related to all the members like Proprietor, Partner, and Directors such as their name, address, contact details, photo ID etc.
- Details for all the plants and machineries that would be required.
- Details of food products to be manufactured.
- Authority letter to nominate the authorized person of the applicant.
- Sources of raw materials.
- Analysis report of water to be used as an ingredient in a food.
- No objection certificate issued by FSSAI.
- Form IX by FSSAI.
- Certificate from Ministry of Tourism (HRACC).
- Proof of ownership of premises, if not available, a rental agreement in case of a rented premise.
- Type of business- Incorporation Certificate, LLP Agreement or Partnership Deed.
- Affidavit of Sole Proprietorship.
- No Objection Certificate issued by the product manufacturer.
- Copy of certificate as per the Coop Act 1861/Multi-state Coop Act 2002.
- Management plans regarding the details of food safety.
- No Objection Certificate from municipal and local authorities.
- Proof of transportation.
- Declaration form.
Fees Required for FSSAI License in Kerala
The following categories are the fees required for FSSAI license in Kerala :
- New License
- More than 1MT per day – Rs 5000
- 10.001 to 50,000 LPD of milk or 501 to 2500 MT of milk solids per annum – Rs 5000
- Less than 1MT per day – Rs 3000
- 501 to 10,000 LPD of milk or 2.5 MT to 500 MT of milk solids per annum – Rs 3000
- Hotel up to 4 Stars – Rs 5000
- All Food Service providers and other food Business Operator – Rs 2000
- Renewal of License
Calculated depending on the number of years selected.
- Modification of License
Calculated as fees for one year per license modification.
- Duplicate of license
Calculated as 10% of the Applicable License Fee.
Difference between FSSAI license in Kerala and Registration in Kerala
There exist only a few differences between the two based on-
- Type of business for which is required,
- Duration for the license is required, and
- The publication conditions of the license.
Need for the FSSAI license in Kerala
According to the Food Safety and Standards Regulation, 2011 it is mandatory for all food business operators in India to have an FSSAI registration/license if they are involved in the business of manufacturing, storage, transportation or distribution and other related activities of food products. This helps provide a greater understanding of the food products, quality controls and the business plans of the business operator.
FSSAI license in Kerala is a simple process for gaining a mark of authenticity of products and security of the business. Required by all Food Business Operators, the license provides an outlook for the manufacturing, storage, transportation and distribution of food products. This will help the government in providing safety and security to the citizens of the country. The process of getting this license is not that tough but in case you required any help you can contact BizAdvisers.
Read our article:All You Need to Know About FSSAI License in Tamil Nadu